Hazardous Material Emergency Preparedness Grant (HMEP)
Hazardous Materials Emergency Performance Grant 2022
Purpose of HMEP
Planning, training and exercise activities funded by the Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness Grant (HMEP) will be used to develop, improve, and carryout emergency plans under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act of 1986 (42 U.S.C. 11001 et seq.), see 49 U.S.C. 5116(a). Emergency responders who receive training under the HMEP grant will have the ability to protect nearby persons, property, and the environment from the effects of accidents or incidents involving the transportation of hazardous material in accordance with existing regulations or National Fire Protection Association standards for competence of responders to accidents and incidents involving hazardous materials. (49 U.S.C 5116(b). In general, HMEP is used to;
- Increase effectiveness in safely and efficiently handling hazardous materials incidents;
- Enhance implementation of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act of 1986 (EPCRA); and
- Encourage a comprehensive approach to emergency training and planning by incorporating the unique challenges of responses to transportation situations.
Through this funding opportunity, DHSEM will award federal funding to eligible applicants for hazardous materials planning, training and exercise. HMEP funding can be used for;
- Planning activities such as Hazardous Materials Plans, commodity flow studies, and similar.
- Training activities such as HOTZONE, HazMat Challenge, Hazardous Materials certification, Haz Mat Personal Training Equipment.
- Hazmat exercise activities to test emergency Hazmat plans and similar.
Annual HMEP2022 Sub-Grant Application
The Funding Announcement is made up of the following files; Funding Announcement, Allocation Methodology, and Application. The 2022 Federal NOFO and 2020 Expenditures Guide can also be downloaded for reference.
- February 3, 2023 – Release of Funding Announcement and Application.
- February 10, 2023 – Deadline to submit questions.
- February 15, 2023 – DHSEM posts answers to questions.
- March 3, 2023 – Application submittal due date.
- April 1, 2023 – Anticipated award and Sub-grant Agreements issued, after USDOT awards to DHSEM.
If you have any questions please contact the DHSEM HazMat Program at HAZMAT@DHSEM.NM.gov.